Pageviews last month

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Cult of Anne Boleyn

Anne Boleyn, the name conjures up images of ghosts, a beheaded wife, and scenes from the Showtime series "The Tudors." Anne is who inspired me to create this blog so my first post is dedicated to her. In conversation this past week the phrase "Anne Boleyn? But she's dead!" was uttered. The response was "I can assure you, she is alive and well." So she is, she lives on in the hearts and minds of people everywhere who revere and idolize her. I used to wonder if I was the only person out there who had an obsession with European history and with Anne specifically, but over the past few months I have discovered a whole world of Anne Boleyn fans, people whose thoughts are just as dedicated as mine to this amazing and misunderstood woman.

YouTube has a plethora of videos dedicated to Anne, most of them music videos set to clips of "The Tudors." Making these videos is no small task I can assure you as I made something similar for my best friend as a wedding gift and I can only imagine how hard it is to get a song to line up with specific moments in these clips of the show. Videographers like Alyxandra, who goes by the name of CastigatedX or BloodyJasi who has a channel called "Ascending the Scaffold" have created amazing videos that bring Anne's sadness and anger to life. Websites like http://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/ have sprung up on the internet all created by fans of an outspoken, strong, betrayed woman who died over 500 years ago. I have included some of my favorite videos below,two of which are made by the two ladies mentioned above. Please, watch and enjoy Natalie Dormer's amazing performance, for though the show may be full of historical inaccuracies, Natalie's portrayal of Anne broke my heart and fully brought to life this amazing queen. It took me over a week to get up the courage to watch the episode of the "The Tudors" in which Anne is executed and I have to say Natalie's portrayal of Anne hit the nail on the head, watching her walk to the scaffold so bravely and so elegantly had me crying like a baby. Watch as she stops and gathers her courage to mount the scaffold stairs, her facial expressions as she speaks and gives her jewelry to her ladies, all of these things are so small, but so vital to the character of Anne. Natalie captures Anne's elegance and dignity in her last moments in a way that is unrivaled in my eyes. Hope you enjoy the videos and the blog! Come back tomorrow for more!





No comments:

Post a Comment